Lucky enough to step away from our busy schedules last week, the CB&A team attended a retreat to get to know ourselves and each other better. With this time away from the office, we learned what type of communicators we are and how birth order can impact who we are and how we act as members of an education marketing agency.
If you have never determined what type of communicator you are, we encourage you to take a few moments to do so. It is not only insightful, but also enjoyable.
Although we had team members represent all four categories of communication styles, most of the CB&A team members are expressive, which is common in public relations and creative areas. Do you know what communication style you and your coworkers are?
- Driver- These are the “take-charge” individuals, who are goal-oriented, direct and like to accomplish tasks quickly.
- Analytical- They value accuracy and detail, and are organized and meticulous when completing tasks.
- Expressive- These are the people who seek admiration and friendship, value novelty and stimulation, and are good at recognizing opportunities.
- Amiable- They avoid conflict and tend to comply. They are people-oriented, but also tend to be reserved.
It can be difficult for people with different communication styles to interact, but it is important to be patient and empathic when working with different styles. After all, 75% of the world is a different type of communicator than you are.
Interestingly, birth order also has a role in shaping our individuality. The CB&A team consists of a variety of oldest, middle and youngest children. How has your birth order impacted who you are today?
- Oldest- They tend to be reliable, conscientious, structured and achievers.
- Middle- They are often peacemakers and people-pleasers that thrive on friendships and have large social circles.
- Youngest- They are known to be fun loving, outgoing, uncomplicated and attention seeking.
These categorizations are not meant to fully describe or pigeonhole you or others. There may be some traits you possess, and some that you do not, but a well-rounded team must include a range of these characteristics in order to be successful.
Ultimately, our retreat reminded us that although we are all individuals, we are individuals who are part of a education marketing agency, and our strength comes from our uniqueness.