This is the 16th year of the Annual Best Educational Software Awards (BESSIES), sponsored by the ComputED Learning Center, San Diego’s leading computer education resource, and The ComputED Gazette. Targeting innovative and content-rich programs and websites that provide parents and teachers with the technology to foster educational excellence, the program selects winners from titles submitted by digital resource publishers from around the world.
- Thinking Skills: Tinkerplots Dynamic Data Exploration from Key Curriculum Press
- Math Tool: The Geometer’s Sketchpad from Key Curriculum Press
- Disaster Preparedness Website: Ready Classroom from Discovery Education
- Multi-Subject Current Topics Website: ePals TeamEarth from ePals, Inc.
- Science Website: Discovery Education Digital Science Solutions from Discovery Education
- Internet Resources Website: netTrekker.com from netTrekker
- Digital Library Website: Discovery Education streaming Plus from Discovery Education
- Multi-Discipline Collaboration Website: ePals Learning Space from ePals, Inc.
- Special Education Staff Development Website: AutismPro from AutismPro
AutismPro also was highlighted in an “Awards Showcase” article written by the ComputED staff. Since April is National Autism Awareness Month, we’ll share their text here as well:
One in 125! That’s how many children are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, according to some experts; and those numbers are predicted to increase in the future. No one knows what causes autism and communication disorders, and there is no cure.
AutismPro is an online professional development platform designed to help educators answer two questions: What is autism, and how do I help a child with autism? It begins with basic content, which explains autism, and gradually introduces more advanced techniques for developing a child’s ability and preventing negative behaviors. Using simple language, and illustrated with actual examples and video, AutismPro can be used in pre-service classrooms, or by individual teachers and parents on their own time. AutismPro received an award for Special Education Staff Development Website.
Congratulations to all winners of the 2010 BESSIES, and our thanks to Marie Karr, editor of The ComputED Gazette, and her staff for managing the annual awards program.
- Grants and Contests Recognize Innovation in Education Marketplace
- How to Put Your Best Foot Forward When Applying to Award Programs
- You Can’t Win Unless You Enter